Orthodontics is a branch of dentistry that focuses on diagnosing, preventing, and correcting improper bites (occlusions) and misaligned teeth with the use of braces, clear aligners, or other appliances. Orthodontic care is important because it affects chewing efficiency, speech, facial appearance, and pressure on supporting bone tissue in your jaws.
Orthodontics is often used to address overcrowding (when there isn’t enough room for all of your teeth in their correct positions), gaps between teeth, misalignment of jaws, and crooked teeth. It may also be used to align upper and lower jaws if you have an overbite or underbite.
Orthodontic treatment duration can range from six months to one year or more; this depends entirely on the severity of the bite condition and treatment method. When you partner with our team, we will support you or your child through the entire treatment journey – answering every question, making adjustments as needed, and keeping you informed along the way.
In order to help you achieve the healthy, straight smile you deserve, we provide multiple options, so you may choose the approach that works best for you. Call our Herndon, VA, office today to learn more about our orthodontic options!
Traditional metal braces are the most well-known type of orthodontic treatment available on the market. They consist of a set of metal brackets and wires that are cemented to the teeth using durable dental adhesives. Metal braces were first introduced in the early seventeenth century and have been used for many years as a common orthodontic treatment option.
Today, traditional metal braces are only one of many options available to patients. However, they are still widely used. Their popularity consists among adults and children for various reasons, including the following:
- They have a long track record for being effective, with most tooth movements typically completed in 12 months or less.
- There is no need to visit the dental office as frequently as is required for some other options.
- They are generally more affordable than most of their counterparts. However, individual costs will vary depending on a variety of factors, which include tooth movement rate and the severity of the malocclusion.
- They can be worn by adults as well as teenagers, although they are more commonly used for children.
- They improve the aesthetic appearance of teeth.
InBrace Lingual Braces
InBrace lingual braces are a type of orthodontic treatment that involves placing braces on the backs of the teeth. As opposed to traditional metal braces that are affixed to the outside surface of the teeth, InBrace brackets and wires provide all the same benefits as the traditional treatment, but keep the braces concealable.
- The main advantage of lingual braces is the fact that they are hidden from sight when smiling. Some patients who opt for traditional braces are unhappy about the appearance of their teeth once the brackets and wires have been applied. With Lingual braces, there is no need to sacrifice complete confidence in your smile during the treatment duration.
- Another advantage of InBrace lingual braces is that they allow patients to enjoy their favorite foods without fear of damaging the orthodontic appliances. Patients with traditional metal braces often find it difficult to eat certain foods due to the risk of bending wires or breaking the brackets. Because the appliance is secured safely on the inside of the teeth, the risk of damaging the appliance remains minimal.
- Finally, InBrace Lingual Braces are much more comfortable for patients. As opposed to being on the outside of teeth and rubbing against the gums, the brackets and wires face your tongue and do not cause sore or swollen gum tissue.
Invisalign clear aligners are a type of tooth straightening that employs a series of transparent, plastic retainers. Invisalign is a popular alternative to metal braces that keep treatment flexible and remain discreet while being worn.
Invisalign works by gradually moving teeth into their proper positions over time by applying gentle, consistent pressure onto the teeth. This pressure is applied by a series of aligners worn in succession – each aligner in the series does its part in moving the teeth to where they should be over time, before eventually being replaced with the next aligner.
Unlike traditional metal braces, Invisalign clear aligners are removable and can be taken out to clean the teeth, as well as to eat any favorite meals. This flexibility makes Invisalign ideal for adults who seek to maintain control of their appearance, comfort, and lifestyle during treatment. Treatment time varies by patient age, case complexity, and the number of aligners used during treatment. The average case takes about six or twelve months to complete.
A Straight Path To A Healthier Smile
At GoSmiles Dentistry, we recognize the importance of a healthy, straightened smile at any age – that’s why we serve entire families at our Herndon, VA, practice! With multiple orthodontic options to suit children, teenagers, and adults alike, we are making it easy for every member of our community to complete their own method of smile straightening. We believe that healthier, happier smiles come from straighter teeth, and that’s exactly what we want you to have!
Serving families with only the best services and supportive care, you will find everything you need here to achieve your best smile! Call our office today!