An implant is a prosthetic device that serves to replace one or more missing teeth. It works by fusing with the body’s own bone structure and forming a strong bond between natural tissues and artificial, titanium materials; it can also help the surrounding teeth by strengthening the bone density and socket stability.
Dental implants use biocompatible titanium posts that are surgically inserted into the upper or lower jaws to hold a replacement tooth or bridge in position. One of the most appealing qualities of dental implants is that they are designed to last a lifetime when cared for properly – this means regular brushing and flossing, along with regular cleaning and exams at our office.
Besides being strong and long-lasting, dental implants look and function like natural teeth. The implant restoration can be made to simulate the color and translucency of your tooth enamel, so it is completely blendable. Dental implants can also aid in eating, speaking, and esthetic appeal.
The term implant is used to describe not only the device itself but also the process of “implanting” or surgically placing these devices into bone tissue for support.
- A dental implant may be referred to as a single unit — this often means that it has an implant, abutment, and a single restoration, or crown, over the post.
- A dental implant may also be used to anchor bridge restorations; this would indicate the placement of two implants with a custom-made bridge appliance attached.
The Pieces of an Implant
Dental implants are designed to replace tooth roots and supporting bone structures by the combination of three separate pieces working together; that would include the following:
- Implant post – This is the titanium rod that is secured below the gum line.
- Abutment – This is the connecting piece that attaches the post to the restoration.
- Restoration – The restoration is the custom-made crown or bridge that finalizes the implant procedure.
To learn more about implants and what they can do for you, please read below! If you have any questions, contact our Herndon, VA, office today!
A single implant is designed to replace a single missing tooth using an implant post, abutment, and porcelain dental crown. This option is ideal for patients who are missing only one tooth or multiple teeth in different areas of the mouth.
While partial dentures or traditional bridges are other potential options for replacing a single missing tooth, implants provide a more natural-looking and healthier solution that does not compromise the health of surrounding teeth (such as bridges) or require frequent removal of the appliance on a regular basis (such as dentures).
- Implant placements begin with a consultation in our office. This allows our team to examine the health of your gums, jawbone, and surrounding teeth.
- Once we confirm your candidacy for the procedure, we will schedule the appointment for surgery.
- The surgery will be performed under sufficient anesthetic to ensure your comfort. We will be guided by x-ray imaging to determine where the implant will be placed.
- After making a small incision in the gum tissue, an implant will be placed into the jawbone.
- The abutment is secured to the top of the implant, and gums are sutured closed for healing.
- After a period of healing between three or four months, we will finalize the process by placing your custom-made dental crown.
For a restoration that truly makes you feel like yourself again, implants are the best option.
Implant-supported bridges are a form of non-removable anchorage dental prostheses. The implant portion of this restoration features two titanium posts that have been surgically placed into the jawbone. The bridge part is custom-made and attaches to the abutments on the implant posts to replace a sequence of missing teeth.
As opposed to traditional bridges, implant-supported bridges do not require natural healthy teeth to be contoured, reshaped, or compromised; in fact, rather than losing bone health or strength, this procedure is designed to enhance natural anatomical health! Not only will you enjoy beautiful new teeth, but better health for your entire smile as well.
Smile Again With Dental Implants
Gone are the days of hiding your smile or turning down your favorite foods. Thanks to dental implants, you can smile again with confidence and enjoy a fully restored bite force! Unlike other restorations, implants are strong and durable with no risk of slipping out of place. As a team dedicated to excellence and providing only the best for our valued patients, GoSmiles Dentistry is proud to provide dental implants at our Herndon, VA, office.
Call our office today to learn more about what implants can do for you!